Friday, February 14, 2014

In Loving Memory of Vincent Potuto Animation Instructor/Mentor


"I'll go on alone with the pain. And I swear that I wont complain. Cause I have the dream you gave me. To keep me strong just how I should be."

When I got the news on Valentine's Day afternoon about his passing, I found it hard to believe my very first inspiration for this blog had gone so soon from my life. Many of my readers from Bloomfield College remember my very first post about the mean and ruthless, arrogant and merciless professor that almost drove me to drop his class during my first semester. Despite all those things I disliked about him at first, I knew from the begining he was doing it to toughen us up for the real world. And his attitude toward me only made me want to work harder for his respect. It wasn't till after I informed him of my blog that he noticed my hard work and dedication to his class. Slowly but surely that old bird began to take me under his wing and I thought of him as more than just a grouchy teacher who loved to brag about his most talented students; because I had become one of them.

You see, when I first came to Bloomfield College, I really wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my talent. All I knew is that I could do what ever I put my mind to but I had no direction and no idea what I truly wanted to become. During the Summer of 2013 Mr. Potuto offered me a job substituting his 6th and 9th grade Summer Transitioning students. I gladly took him up on his offer and became his intern. That summer I realized that I not only loved to teach through my blog, but I enjoyed teaching students in person as well and on the last day of the job I found myself crying about how I would miss working at Cicely Tyson School. I wanted to come back and be his intern again. I wanted to work with him and learn anything and everything possible about teaching animation and animating in general. Most of all, I wanted to become an Animation Instructor just like him, and push my students to work their hardest so that they may succeed as I have.

Even though I didn't get that second chance to intern with Mr. Potuto, I cherish the valuable and knowledgeable time I had with. The only thing I regret is that I didn't tell him how much that opportunity really meant to me. Even after reading about himself in my blog, Potuto had no hard feelings and still felt that I deserved a chance. And that chance opened the door to endless possibilities for my future. That is why I will never forget him; because he was the inspiration for what I wanted to become. And even though I must continue my journey to an animation career without him I will never forget the wisdom bestowed onto me by this great man, Vincent Potuto.

VinniePotuto Celebration Of Life.pdf
Star Ledger Obituary: Vincent Potuto